Do you ever see trees all lit up as you walk along the city streets or see them all lit up at festivals and wonder how can I do that at home?
Don't worry, it can be a bit daunting at first as you look up your tree and try to guess how many lights you'll need. Even then, you probably still have no idea!
So here is a super handy little measuring guide so you can work out exactly how many you need. Small, medium or big trees we have you covered.
Lighting up your outdoor trees is easier than you think! Use the steps below to hang Christmas lights on tall outdoor trees.
Use this simple math trick to determine how many lights you’ll need.
- Measure around your tree’s trunk to find the circumference.
- Measure the height of the tree–a guesstimate works.
- Decide how far apart you want the lights (between each row). Typically 2-4cm for smaller trees and 8 - 10cm for larger trees.
- Divide the height by the distance you want between the lights.
- Multiply the circumference to see how many feet of lights you need.
Example for a larger tree
- Tree trunk circumference = 180cm
- Height of tree approx 6m
- Distance between rows of lights = 8cm
- Height 600cm / 8cm = 75cm
- Circumference 180cm x 75 = 135m
So I'll need 135m of lights and as they are sold in 10m sets I would go for 140m of fairy lights to cover the entire tree from bottom to top.
Example for a smaller tree
- Tree trunk circumference = 22cm
- Height of tree 170cm
- Distance between rows of lights = 4cm
- Height 170cm / 4cm = 42
- Circumference 170cm x 42 = 924cm = 9m
So I'll need 9m of lights and they are sold in 10m sets so I would go for one set of 10m fairy lights to cover the entire tree from bottom to top.
Clever and easy way to measure so you can get the amount of lights you need and start lighting up the tree!
We recommend using either our core or pro range of lights for outdoor trees.
Shop the range here
The core series (indoor and outdoor) which can be used indoors and outdoors comes with a PVC cable, is rated IP65 so waterproof and comes in either a black or clear cable.
The pro series (outdoor) we recommend primarily for outdoor use and this is a great option if wanted to leave them outside all year or for long periods of time. They come with a rubber cable so a lot more durable than PVC. It has more heat resistant, withstands weather conditions better and will have less corrosion over time. These are also rated IP65 so waterproof and comes in either a white or black cable.